A lot of people think that they cannot achieve good results without whey protein. This is because of the fitness industry and all the people who have the interest to lie the common people – those with lack of knowledge about fitness. Even I was foolish that protein powder is something that you have to drink if you want to achieve good results faster. For my first two years going to the gym I didn’t read anything and was told by everyone who workout that you need to drink it. I even tried a lot of variations to optimize the effect of protein powder. I was taking protein before workout, then decided to take it after workout and there was a period of time when I drunk protein powder before and after workouts. For some months I even drank it with milk because I was told it will make faster results this way.
What people should know is that they need to take around 2 grams of protein per kg. So if your weight is 80 kg you need around 160 grams of protein per day for optimal results. No matter how you achieve this goal, if you reach it with protein powder or with food. But there are some pros and cons about protein powder:
1. Fast intake of proteins – no leisure time lost. You need only few minutes to prepare your shake with protein powder and a minute to drink it. While if you need to cook the food, you will lose more time than just use the shaker for few seconds. Not only this, but you will eat the food slower than you will drink the protein shake. So if you are in hurry protein powder is great way to take 25/30 grams of protein. Protein bars can do the work too!
2. You don’t need any skills to prepare a protein shake. It is so much easier for people who can’t cook.
3. Sometimes it is tough to reach the amount of daily protein intake you need only by food. If it is at the end of the day and you need 20/30 g protein to reach your daily goal, but you reached the amount of fat and carbohydrates for the day you can drink a protein shake. They have almost 0 % of fat, around 20 % of carbs and around 80 % of protein.
1. It is expensive. If you are going to cook the food you will save a lot of money, while buying cooked food or protein powder will be more expensive. For example in 100 grams of chicken breast there are from 20 to 30 grams of protein. So is in one dose of protein powder but you will pay from 2 to 4 times more.
2. You can’t be sure if what is written on the label is true. There are even some big brands which were caught from people who do researches for containing illegal substances.
3. Pain in stomach and reduced appetite are another cons. Especially if it is from a common type of whey protein – concentrate, which contains more fat and lactose.
So protein powder is a good thing but it is not like you have to drink it to get jacked. If you feel that protein powder is right for you, my advice is that you can buy one which is recommended from a friend so you can be sure it is good. If you don’t want to buy a protein powder, there is no problem with that. Just make sure you are having enough protein from food.